Altair project is cancelled

Hi, I'm Andres Gomez, AnGoSystems CEO. Today, I bring you bad news: Altair project is cancelled.

Why?

All those days I was asking myself about the true purpose of making a VB OS. The answer I got was clear: "Nothing". I started making fake Operating Systems for fun, and for practicing in the VB language. The first "OS" I made was one made in PowerPoint, and then I migrated to Microsoft Visual Basic. I cancelled two projects: GoVaOS (I only released the first version) and later LeafOS. Why? At first I was bored of programming an app that I was almost sure no one was using daily, and second I lost both OS files when my hard disk broke down. Then looking another people's OS in YouTube, I decided to start on a new project: Antares, that I imagined as the best VB OS on the web, with a lot of features that another VB operating systems didn't had. I released it in August 2011 and I think it was, for a while, one of the best VB OS ever. Antares was downloaded by a lot and people and many people asked me to help in the project, then I announced the next version: Altair, I created the Dev Team and invited all to join for helping with apps and code. This seemed to be a great project in progress.

Developing Altair was not easy, I wanted it to be not only a "fake" VB OS, but a desktop environment that anyone can use daily as an alternative to Windows desktop. Yes, it sounded a bit ambitious, but people loved Antares, and I was almost sure they will love Altair too. What happened? My Gmail got a lot of messages everyday. There were loads of people sending me apps and ideas, and eveytime I answered: "You are welcome, your app/idea will be included in Altair".

But I really didn't know it would be hard to apply all those ideas in the VB OS, until I realized everyday I was more than 3 hours programming, and even so, Altair was far from being finished. In June I took a rest and I started to think about this project, the people that was in it and how long it would take me to finish. Finally I realized making a VB OS has no sense, it's a waste of time, maybe people can download it and use it, but later they will forget it because it's fake, and there is still far from becoming a real OS. After weeks confused, today, I decided to cancel Altair permanently. I want to start on another projects, and I'm sure those will be more useful for everyone. AnGoSystems will continue developing apps.


What can I say to everyone?

At first, I say to my Dev Team and everyone that helped me in this project: thanks for all, you are great. I give special thanks to Guilherme Aquino, my best developer and partner, all your ideas were a great help, and to Zychro Code, thanks for advising me with a lot of ideas and troubleshooting. My deepest apologies to anyone for making you send me apps and code that will not be released. I won't publish any code you sent me. Probably the App Store will be continued for developers that want to publish their apps. But for now, I want focus in other projects.

To http://mundodosvirtuaisos.blogspot.com/, I will be sincere: your website is ridiculous, you say things you don't know about the VB OS projects and I didn't ever care about your reviews about what OS is better, and I think nobody cares. Whoever you are, please don't waste your time in that. Take it as an advise.

To SmarkSoft, I advise you to stop copying, last images of your OS ShiftACE are so similar to Altair. Please don't do that, it has no sense, you can desing things by yourself, and you can make it better.

For people that were waiting for Altair, I'm sorry for taking this decision, but only think... If I release Altair, would you use it daily instead of using Windows desktop? I'm almost sure your answer will be NO.

And finally, for people that are working on VB OS, I councel you to stop spending your time. You can use it in more important things, you can make better apps in VB that you can sell and get money from them. A fake operating system, no matter how good it is, won't give you an important recognition or money, I tell you.


What is gonna happen with the code?

I don't know, I probably will include it in future projects. Altair was a great help for me to learning more about VB developing, and I don't want all this work to be in vain.

Thanks again for all your help and work, and thanks to people who believed in this project. Hope we can continue working together on other future projects.

Sincerely,

Andrés Gómez,
AnGoSystems CEO

17 comments:

  1. Will you release the source?

    I would really appreciate it, there are some things which I would love to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uma grande perca, só foi chato os últimos comentários, já que assim como eu, muitas pessoas gostam de criar VB OS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FINALMENTE, se te acabo la fiebre VB, al fin te das cuenta de que un os en vb, es simplemente un sueño, si si hay una forma de realizar un verdadero os en VB y es con CosmOS pero ahi no puedes simplemente arrastrar botones al form y darles código.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Você pensa que é o único que pode fazer um bom VB OS? O MT Howei vai ser muito bom e o Kapersky também! E embora eu ache que o Shift Ace fosse muito parecido com o Altair o SHift ace Next é muito diferente do Altair. E ridículo o MVSO? kkkk, ridículo é desistir depois de anunciar um VB OS, não aguentou a pressão foi? Pelo menos os outros OS rodam em resoluções menores que 1440x900 e pouco. Não percam a esperança de criar VB OS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I respect your opinion, but that's my thought. Making a VB OS makes no sense. If you want to defent MVSO, I don't care, I only wanted them to know they are wasting their time. And no, I won't make any VB OS again, I want to stop dreaming and get into reality, making real apps. And I know there are now a lot of VB OS as good as Altair, but again, that doesn't matter for me now, I hope everyone of them reconsider the true purpose of making this, as I did

      Delete
    2. Anônimo, pessoas como tu fodem a imagem do Brasil mundo afora. Andrez apenas expôs a opinião dele de um jeito que impression de tanta educação. Apesar de eu discordar dos últimos pedaços incluindo o do msvo claro. Agora até mesmo a msvo que levou o insulto soube escrever direito e não um monte de merda... Só pra acabar:
      Pressão, amigo? Que pressão? A AnGo tinha tudo pra ser no mínimo a melhor, multilingue, poder em vb e design e recursos simplesmente exorbitantes. Eu só lamento... Acho que agor o que resta é torcer pra smarksoft... Ela era a melhor depois da ango.

      Delete
  5. Eu já esperava isso.

    Realmente, fazer VB OS soa bastante inútil. Mas eu penso que foi um projeto interessante. Os clips no Youtube foram muito legais.

    Acho que foi desnecessário e prematuro matar o projeto. Pense quantas pessoas poderiam aprender mais com o código disponibilizado e quanta publicidade seria gerada para seus outros projetos. A minha impressão é que você é jovem demais para entender as possibilidades disso. Eu sempre tive a certeza que se o Altair não fosse abertamente OpenSource o projeto teria dificuldades. Logo percebi que você nunca foi chegado a compartilhar código. Coloque o código no SourceForge que você será bem sucedido.

    Você é um programador muito talentoso, mas matar o Altair antes mesmo do lançamento foi imaturo e passa uma péssima impressão. Afinal, quem iria garantir que em um projeto futuro você não iria "pipocar" num momento crítico??? Tenho certeza que o tempo lhe irá amadurecer.

    Eu concordo que os VB OS tal como são feitos hoje são inúteis, mas são fantásticas maneiras de aprender novas coisas. Desenvolver um VB OS é bom, o errado é levar isso a sério demais.

    Eu adorei ter conhecido o Antares e o Altair. Achei fantástico todo o trabalho. Se outros copiaram, é porque o trabalho foi bom. Aprenda que na indústria do software todo mundo copia todo mundo. Confesso que deu vontade de copiar aquele design da barra superior. Até o Windows poderia ter aquilo (!).

    Eu como te disse acompanhei o projeto como entusiasta mesmo (leia-se não plagiador). Espero terminar um Virtual OS em C++ e obrigado por ter feito o melhor VBOS do mundo.

    A única coisa q não entendo é pq só existem VOS em VB? Alguém sabe me dizer???

    Relaxa Andrez, VirtualOS é diversão, só isso. Com o tempo e os contatos o dinheiro vem naturalmente.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. You are one of the few people that really understand me. Yes, I know this decision can be seen as "inmature" after being announcing Altair since very months ago. But I really took it very seriously and I promised features of Altair that I don't know if I could have done. Anyway, your comment made me know that there are people that likes VB OS even when those are useless. It is a way to practice in VB and to have fun "competing" with another VB OS ;). I want all this work I made not to be in vain, I will use some Altair code for other apps, and maybe the developer team that helped me in Altair could be there for another future project...

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry. I just saw your video with Antares on YouTube and I visited almost everyday since 2 weeks ago this blog and I waited for Altair a lot. It was great. I think that I'll used Altair evereday. And Come on, I'm making now my VOS but I think your VOS is just great, no matter if is a real or Virtual OS. I'm interested of real OS like Mac or Windows but also of VOS. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to continue your proyect if you don't mind. If you want it please send me the code of it to xw@xoanweb.com .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Galera, não é só pegar os códigos não! A Desenvolvedora que arrendar o Altair, tem que ser de competência suficiente, pois pode afundar o projeto!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrez, it was vrry incredible to work with you. I learned more about designing there than in all my life as I was designing like 16 hours a week! At this exactly moment im in my school, about to go to my break, and my classmates are yelling they want Altair to continue. You just cant imagine how gratifiant it is bro :T
    I will send an email for you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi ...
    I'm sad to know that ...

    I'm passionned of VB Os , i starting to make one , but i think if i continue , it will be a piece of
    shit ... :/
    You're project it's the better on the web ...
    This is the exact definition ...

    But now i have a question ... :
    Can you give the VB project to people ?
    Do you want ? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. aww your right! i was making a real os in vb.net using COSMOS.
    but it is'nt worth it! it wont be any better or famous than Windows.... best just to give up everything...

    ReplyDelete
  12. wheres the source code?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not here and will never until Andres change he's mind to shared the full source...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Legal um desses. não sei como você faz tudo isso... eu tambem faço isso... Mas não mais grande q esses!

    : O : )

    ReplyDelete